15 January 2007

An Honourable Mention

Even though I'm not in the business of reviewing TV series, I was sufficiently impressed by the Japanese TV anime series Paranoia Agent to give it an honourable mention. I'm not going to say much about it, because then I'd be reviewing it, and like I said, I'm not in the business of reviewing TV series. I will say this, though. I was originally going to see it at the Leeds Film Festival back in November (they were showing all 13 episodes in 4 separate screenings), but as the first episode began, two things became distressingly apparent: (1) they had chosen to screen a version dubbed by American voice actors, rather than showing the subtitled version; and (2) they had somehow managed to screen the 1.78:1 image on what appeared to be a roughly 4:3 screen without any letterboxing (i.e., the picture was stretched vertically to fill the entire 4:3 screen). So ... I walked out, put it on my DVD rental list, and soon had the pleasure of watching it in the comfort of my own home in all its subtitled 1.78:1 glory!

3 comments:

grim said...

I thought it was bloody brilliant.

Isn't it time you did some more reviews, petal? I really hope that you're not doing any actual work!

Zeb said...

Yes.. where are the updates ;-)

Anonymous said...

I would never have appreciated subtitles until I emigrated. Now, I hate it when a film is dubbed, and as im now pretty quick at reading subs, it doesn't bother me.

--arry