02 January 2007

The Last of the Mohicans

(Michael Mann, 1992)

This is overblown sentimental crap. It’s also extremely confusing, insofar as it appears to be set in a parallel universe where the act of driving a sharp blade into or across the skin of a human body results in no noticeable degree of injury or bloodshed (although, curiously, it does seem to make the person struck by the blade manifest a sudden compulsion to throw themselves dramatically to the ground).

The Last of the Mohicans @ IMDb

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come this film got reviewed? Bit mainstream, no?

Johnny Strike said...

I don't have a policy of not reviewing mainstream films. My policy is to review whatever I watch, and sometimes I watch mainstream films. (In this particular case, it happened to be on TV over xmas, I had nothing better to do, I'd never seen it before, and I thought I'd give it a go.)

grim said...

I imagine there'll be a few more mainstream films in 2007 - aren't we aiming to watch some 'classic' films, rather than all the anime and arse-raping that we normally watch!

Johnny Strike said...

When I mentioned wanting to watch "classics", I was mainly thinking of things such as early instances of wuxia and chanbara cinema (of which I'm largely ignorant, and would like to learn more). So I don't think there'll necessarily be anything more mainstream involved here than usual!

grim said...

wuxiwhat?

I thought you were thinking of stuff like oldies and whatnot?

Johnny Strike said...

Wuxia

Chanbara

The general idea was to identify films, especially classics, that I/we ought to have seen but haven't. This doesn't rule out mainstream classics, but most of the stuff I have thought of, so far, is, to paraphrase Pulp Fiction, very fucking far from mainstream.